Wapley Bushes Local Nature Reserve, near Yate and Chipping Sodbury, South Gloucestershire.


The Nature Reserve is run by the Wapley Bushes Conservation Group, a small group of volunteers.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

"Little and large" mammal sightings at Wapley

I had two striking mammal sightings at Wapley today. I was driving along Besom Lane, and two roe deer - hind and fawn - crossed the road 20 yards ahead of me. They paused and looked at me and then dived into the Picnic Area hedge.

They obviously knew where they were going - I later saw that there are several established tracks through the thicket and out onto the clearing.

About 10 minutes later, on the Common, I saw a shrew running across the grass. So, sightings of the Reserve's largest and smallest mammals in just a few minutes.

No comments: